What do we expect when you register with us?
It may sound strange that we’re talking about what we expect from you, when recruitment is our job. But, it’s good for you to be prepared too, so that we can give you the best service possible
Here is our overview about how you can best prepare yourself:
We understand that registering with a recruitment agency can be daunting. Always remember that everyone at an agency are just people and they have been where you are now. At Vanilla, all our team has been through the process of registering with an agency in the past, a lot of the team have been temps, and they really understand how nerve racking looking for, and interviewing for a new job can be.
Working with a recruitment agency is an ongoing and two-way process. Unfortunately it isn’t just a case of emailing over your CV and waiting for an interview date to arrive.
The important thing to remember is that we are here to help. We are on your side and we want to work in partnership with you to find you the right opportunity. To do this we need you to be as engaged as possible. We are only as good as the information you share with us.
This blog post will help you understand what we’re looking for, so when you work with us, you’ll have the best opportunity for success.
The initial stages:
How we normally get introduced to each other is through us receiving your CV. If we recruit for the type of work you have experience in and are looking for, we will phone you to get to know you a little better. It’s not usually a long call; we just want to know a few more details based on your CV. We will only invite you to meet us face to face to register if we genuinely think we can help you in your job search. We’ll be honest, we don’t want to waste your time or get your hopes up.
On the phone we will get a feel for your motivations and personality. We are after a snapshot of your skills and experience. You just need to be really open and honest with us so that we can best represent you if you do register with us.
We formally register every candidate we represent. We aim to do this face to face but if we can’t find a mutually suitable time to do it, we can register via Skype/FaceTime. Our registration is basically is mini interview and you should approach it in that way by preparing for it. You also need to know what type of jobs you are looking for, what salary expectations you have and how far you would travel to work.
Good ways to prepare for your registration are:
- Be prepared– Know what you are looking for, know your CV back to front and look the part. First impressions count even with us, wear what you would wear for an interview and make sure you smell great too! It is also worth doing some research on us; do we have the types of roles you are looking for on our website already?
- Be enthusiastic– This is your opportunity to make a positive first impression. We can be your biggest ally when looking for a new opportunity. If you are excited and optimistic about working with us then we are more likely to feel the same about working with you. Sell yourself to us, you may know you’re great – show us too.
- Be realistic– Our experience is that clients are more often than not looking for people who are experienced in the role they are recruiting for. So when thinking about your next career move, it will be more difficult to make a massive change than a sideways step or one step up. Some research will guide you on salary expectations as well.
- Be honest– Never be tempted to oversell yourself or make your CV look better by stretching the truth. For us to best represent you and help to get you the job you’re after, we want to get to know the real you.
During our registration we’ll l agree a course of action together. If we have discussed a particular job that we’re currently recruiting for that you are interested in, we will put you forward for it.
If we don’t have an immediate role that you are keen on, we will discuss what we will do for you to explore potential opportunities.
From this point on, we need to keep in touch with each other:
- We’ll be in contact with you if we have a job that we think you would be interested in
- If you see a job advertised by us that you are interested, let us know
- If you see a job not advertised by us that you like the look of, let us know – we might be able to help
- It also helps if you keep us up to date if you are away on holiday or take a temp booking etc. it’s just so that we are aware of your interview availability.
Sometimes it may take a while for your perfect position to become available. Make sure you keep us up to date if you change your contact details or your personal circumstances change.
If at first you don’t succeed…
We know it can be devastating if you don’t get an offer for a job you really wanted. It is really important to keep looking forward though and not to dwell on what might have been. There is always something to learn from every experience. The next job you go for might be even better suited to you, stay positive.
What do we add to your job search?
Having us in your corner will make your job search easier. Not only will we be there to coordinate everything, but we’ll also help you prepare for an interview. We’ll make sure you have details on the company, you know where you’re going etc. We’ll give you as much or as little support and hand holding as you need/want from us.
We also make these promises to you:
- We’ll always represent you in the best possible way
- We will always comply with data protection rules and adhere fully with race, gender and disability discrimination regulations
- We’ll never send your CV to a client unless we’ve got your permission
- We will work in partnership with you and provide open and honest feedback
- We’ll never send you to an interview without a full pre-brief first
- We’ll always remain approachable and fully engaged to help you get the best role for you.